If you’re looking for a reasonably priced tablet, with a stable operating system, that’s backed by literally hundreds of good reviews from satisfied customers, then the ViewSonic G Tablet with 10″ Multi-Touch LCD Screen, Android OS 5.1 definitely fills the bill.
The original Android powered ViewSonic G Tablet was released in 2010 at a price nearly double what you’ll pay now…but don’t think that you’re getting an outdated piece of hardware, either! The Nvidia Tegra 2 chipset is so cutting edge that it’s waaaayyy ahead of the game. Even better, the software for the ViewSonic G Tablet has been upgraded regularly with new features and tweaks that make it one of the most useful, handy tablets on the market, at a price that most people will be happy to pay.
With its slim, comfortable design and crisp, colorful 10.1 inch LCD display, the Viewsonic G Tablet offers full support for Adobe Flash Player (ver. 10.1), so you can watch your favorite videos, play your favorite games, and access websites that other tablets can’t.
With integrated Google technology, the Viewsonic G Tablet, integrated with Google technology, gives you access to YouTube, Picasa, Gtalk, Google Search by voice, and even Google Maps with Street View. There’s even an Apps Store icon located right on the home screen so you can access thousands of Android apps.
Here are some of the other great features you’ll love:
- 3D-like graphics
- 1080p HD video - 1920 x 1080 pixels
- NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor
- 2 GB of DDR2 RAM
- Wireless Type 802.11bgn
- Virtual QWERTY keyboard
- 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for video chat
- 16 GB internal memory
- MicroSD memory expansion (via optional cards up to 16 GB in size)
- HDMI video output (via optional dock)
- 8-10 hours of on-the-go battery power
The Viewsonic G Tablet is also easy to navigate…not awkward like other tablets, the buttons to toggle, search, go back and move forward are all right at your fingertips. The volume control is on top, out of the way, and you're on-display buttons include Search, Home, Menu and back.
Google Android OS 5.1
The G Tablet runs Android 5.1 OS, offering you lots of new features and benefits, including faster web browsing, simple app launching and updating, and a much more intuitive experience with Google services. Android 5.1 OS features:
- Better overall performance of Android OS
- USB and Wi-Fi Internet Tethering
- Microsoft Exchange integration
- New and improved browser
- Compass support for Google Maps
- Improved Google Voice Search, recognizes long and complicated sentences easily
Your Viewsonic G Tablet lets you switch between apps and tasks instantly, so you can listen to your favorite songs while reading your email, open multiple apps with the flick of a finger, and casually pinch, scroll or zoom to your heart's content.
And, you’ll absolutely love the media performance of this tablet! Use it to watch movies, play music files, or even upload images from your camcorder and share them with your family and friends anywhere!
- Key Media features include:
- 1080p playback (HD)
- Extensive format support includes: H.264, WMV, WMA, MP4, DivX and more
- Expandable memory: up to 32GB via micro SD
- 3.5 mm headphone jack
- Mini USB port
- USB port
- HDMI dock (optional)
With the Wi-Fi b/g/n support, you can email, video chat, update your status on Facebook…whatever you want to do, wherever you want to do it!
- Wi-Fi b/g/n support
- Video conferencing via 1.3MP camera
- 8-10 hours battery life
- Bluetooth support
What are current customers saying about the ViewSonic G Tablet? Have there been any issues noted with the ViewSonic G Tablet?
There are literally over 425 reviews on Amazon.com alone for the ViewSonic G Tablet…this should tell you just how popular this device is! An overwhelming majority of users, over 300 in fact, give the ViewSonic G Tablet 4 or 5 stars in all areas, including quality of the device, ease of use, compatibility, software, and price.
Early on, it was noted that the LCD screen is best viewed straight on, like a laptop or netbook. While some see this as a liability or even a quality issue, this is to be expected with any LCD type screen, therefore, we do not see this as a negative attribute but more of a notation for you, the potential purchaser.
Software updates since the device’s release appear to have taken care of the majority of other issues mentioned by early customers:
- The original TapNTap interface was panned by several reviewers, however, the latest updates give you the option to choose between it and the standard Android 5.1 interface.
- Out of the box, the G Tablet doesn’t support the Android market but it does offer an alternative which is Handango. I was able to find almost every app I wanted and for free: Google Maps, Pandora, file browser, weather channel, Skype…etc. To install the app, simply download the .apk to your G tablet and execute it. Several users flashed their G Tablet with a custom ROM, Vegan Gingerbread to have full access to Android Market. (Note that the stock firmware works just fine so you don’t really need to flash a custom ROM if you don’t want to.)
- Browser updates since the release have enabled what has been described as an “unmatched browsing experience” on a tablet computer. with the stock browser. Pinching and double tapping work great for zooming in/out.
- This tablet has also been described as the “most hackable” tablet out there…so, chances are, if you’re not happy with something, and you’re even a little bit tech-oriented, you can change it!
Would We Buy the ViewSonic G?
Based on our research of the ViewSonic G Tablet, it is one of the best values currently available. Not only is the hardware cutting edge, but this tablet has been designed to stay ahead of the game…with continual software updates, it will continue to outperform the leading competitors for several years, and we predict you’ll wonder how you ever survived without it!